Monday, April 4, 2016

Strange Signals - a Pulp Alley Game

A routine scan of subsector 6 turned up some anomalous signal traffic. We sent a patrol to locate the source of the signals: Romulus Decima and a squad of guardsmen. 

In this game, Romulus Decima has discovered a mysterious communications beacon. He must crack in and download signal traffic before the owners of the beacon persuade him to move on. This is the 'Race Against Time' scenario from the Pulp Alley rulebook.
Decima begins at the comms beacon. His guardsmen spread out to defend him and to try and grab the other strange artifacts (the blue things!)
Hang on, who's skulking behind those trees?
And over there!
The beacon is a Necron communicator. Who knows what devious plans are afoot?

The Necrons close in to secure their beacon.
The medic is the first man down!
Romulus in trouble - the Necrons taking down guardsmen at a furious rate.
Things get really nasty as the Wraith ties Decima down in close combat, meaning he can't work at cracking the beacon.
The final turn, Decima is still locked in combat. He needs to pass one more challenge to crack open beacon. He manages to dodge out of combat...
...and pass the last challenge, grabbing the information! A very close game.
Thanks to Andrew for the use of his Necrons. I must pick up some for myself at some stage (as if I don't have enough to paint already!)

Continued...

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Gordon: all club scenery (bar the beacon). It was a fun game to watch.

      Delete
  2. "A routine scan of subsector 6 "
    lol
    I see what you did there :)

    Great report, Pulp Alley seems very well designed to deliver these nailbiters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Honestly, not deliberate. Maybe an act of subconscious admiration! And yes, I think I've had many more Pulp Alley classics than duds: it does deliver the goods.

      Delete
  3. Looking good Preacher. Pulp Alley seems to be a good fit for the 40k crowd.

    By the way, I can't remember if I recommended this already, but you should take a look at http://madpadre.blogspot.ie/ and http://madpadrewargames.blogspot.ie/

    I think you and Mike might have a lot in common.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Conrad. The games we've played have certainly felt like they 'fit' in the 40k universe, and they're truckloads of fun! Thanks for the recommendation too. I'll go have a look.

      Delete
  4. Looks fun as always, what a great job you do here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like seeing Pulp Alley in a SF-setting. Gets me thinking of a use for all those Mercs figures...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they'd work perfectly! Small teams of quite strongly differentiated characters: ideal. Get to work!

      Delete
    2. Hmm, yes, as soon as my Zombicide: Black Plague figs are finished, and the Blood Rage figs and the minis for Frostgrave and a couple of pulp figs and those Wild West buildings and... I think you get the idea :-)
      They will be painted, but I don't know when.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I know the feeling! These guys who manage to stick at one game system: they've got it made! Although I suppose even then there's always another army or terrain piece to do.

      Delete