Thursday, August 17, 2017

Come Fly with Me - a Pulp Alley game

Mark and I have started playing a 40k version of Pulp Alley's Perilous Island campaign. I neglected to taking any photos during the first game, but here's game two.

Two leagues are intent on tracking down the Rogue Trader Marcion Darrow. Their best lead is the Rogue Trader's reliquarian, Johann Tzel. A routine stopover turns bad when the spaceport is threatened by a rebel insurrection. There is one last shuttle out. Will Commissar Burns get away with Tzel, or will the Admech team keep them on the ground?
Commissar Burns and his crew must grab tickets from the ticket machine near the guard in the blue shirt. Then they'll grab Tzel and head for the shuttle.
The Admech crew need to rifle through the white crate and find a package. Once they have this, they can grab a mechanic who'll gently disable the shuttle for them!
The spaceport is under guard because of the threat of the insurrection. Any character who engages the enemy will be targeted by the guards (an extreme peril each activation).

Commissar Burns makes polite inquiries about tickets.
The response is prompt, and his team spot the reliquarian, Tzel.
The techpriest is having more trouble trying to jemmy the crate open. Once he does prise it open, nothing! It's actually the generator they need (curse those red herring cards!)
Burns' men move out to grab Tzel and secure the shuttle.
The admech scout maneuvers to defy the security and get a shot in.
Every lasgun in the area reduces him to a smouldering corpse.
Meanwhile, Tzel takes some persuading to tag along with the Commissar's crew.
The mechanic finally shows up, but it is too late to get to her and to the shuttle, so the Admech team begin to move in on their opponents. An unfortunate accidental bump (although the security guards don't see it that way).
The Admech team drop all pretence of politeness.
The techpriest wades in with his great axe.
For all their violence, the Admech are unable to prevent the commisar hustling Tzel to the shuttle.
Just open the door and they're away. The simplest of rolls - one 4+ needed from 4d6.

I'll remember that game for a long time! (With glee, I was the Admech!) Even before the end, this was a great scenario. The penalties for combat meant you had to think really carefully about your actions, and when to pull the trigger. Mark managed to avoid making any attacks all game (he dodged any incoming attacks). But in the end, his virtue went unrewarded!

17 comments:

  1. Nice and intense looking game, Commissar Burns's crew had a lot of things to do...immersive and impressive table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil! The other team had just as much to do: it just doesn't look like it because they failed so miserably! The table needs more clutter I think, but it's getting there.

      Delete
  2. Hi Preacher,
    I have a couple of observations:
    1. I have played this scenario myself and I have have read 3 or 4 other batreps of it. Yours is one of the best, but more salient is the fact that it is one of the best designed scenarios, period. Multiple tasks that interact and scale well.

    2. I really like your base set. I have seen you use it several times, but it has the right balance of detail vs. coverage that lets it work as a dynamic background. It's just really great and I never fell like I'm loooking at "same old, same old" if you get my meaning.

    Great report and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Major - generous words!
      It is an excellent scenario. For most of the game I found myself having to think really carefully about when and how to use each of my guys: a real puzzle to work out.

      And I'm glad to hear your thoughts on the terrain. With limited time, money and storage space, I need something that is reusable but adaptable. Good to know it hits the spot. Mind you, I do still dream of doing something like some of your set-ups!

      Delete
  3. I love pulp alley in the grimdark universe. Thanks for sharing the entertainment.
    I was appreciating the terrain and looked up your posts on the walls. How high/tall did you decide to make the walls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave, glad you like it! The walls are 6cm tall. Enough to be clearly taller than a 28mm figure, but not so tall that they're tricky reach between if you use them for corridors.

      Delete
  4. Great stuff! I always love seeing this board in action :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ivan! That's good, because it shows up often enough!

      Delete
  5. Fantastic! THANKS for playing and sharing Pulp Alley.

    Dave
    Pulp Alley

    ReplyDelete
  6. You utter, utter bastard :D Stop putting ideas in my head with your simple yet elegant tables, with well painted figures and thought out stories. Stop it I tell you! (Well doen as usual, very inspiring, I really really must copy your set up :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, thanks Gunbird! The set-up takes a bit of work, but once it's done, you can wheel it out in all sorts of configurations. It's also takes up a small amount of storage space, which sounds like it would be useful in your situation. Copy away!

      Delete
  7. I'd never seen myself as 'gifted' before... ;~)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I realise this is a very old post but how did you make the terrain boards & raised areas/steps?

    Are they mdf lasercut or scratch built?

    Either way the terrain & game looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. All the terrain is scratch built from cork tile. I've got a tutorial for the terrain boards here: https://preacherbyday.blogspot.com/2015/04/sci-fi-terrain-tile-tutorial.html

      And designing the walls:
      https://preacherbyday.blogspot.com/2015/08/scratch-built-sci-fi-walls.html

      Delete