Sunday, June 7, 2015

Massachusetts Provincials

I've finally finished painting my provincial unit for Muskets and Tomahawks. Provincials aren't great in M&T, so I'm not sure they'll ever quite reward the time they took!

Why paint provincials then? One of the better books I've read in the last few years was George Marsden's enormous biography of Jonathan Edwards, the Puritan preacher. One of Edwards' contemporaries (and opponents) Ephraim Williams Jr, was a colonel in the Massachusetts provincials. Williams was killed in a French ambush during the battle of Lake George (1755). This was an unexpected connection between two spheres of interest, so I thought I'd paint something up. The provincials were not uniformed at this early stage of the war, so the link is all a bit tenuous, but there you have it!
The figures are 28mm from Galloping Major.

1 comment: